Quality Control for Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Systems
- Evaluate image quality and quantify targets in reconstructed planar images
- Thoroughly test Tomosynthesis system performance
- Comply with developing protocol, including EUREF1, IEC2 and AAPM Task Group 245
The Modular DBT Phantom by Gammex was developed in collaboration with medical physicists to support quality control for Tomosynthesis and Digital Mammography systems.
A range of simple to complex targets are precisely placed within tissue-equivalent breast material that is 50% breast-glandular and 50% breast-adipose.2 This uniquely flexible phantom design helps ensure efficiency across systems and test types. It can be used to evaluate Mammography and Tomosynthesis systems.
Save time and simplify Tomosynthesis QC
The phantom is designed for acceptance testing, routine QC and research.
- Automatically align to the chest wall for reproducible tests
- Assess image quality and artifact detection using the DBT Phantom configuration for Image Quality
- Move test objects closer to or further from the detector without tools
The Image Quality configuration provides an overall thickness of 6.5 cm with specks, masses and fibers embedded on the central plane.
Adaptable for Image Quality to MTF Tests
- Image Quality
- Missing Tissue Detection
- 2D and 3D Accuracy
- Line Spread Function (LSF)
- Artifact Detection
- Contrast-to-Noise Ratio (CNR)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)
- Modulation Transfer Function (MTF)
Evaluate the Entire Imaging Chain
- High attenuating objects to test projection images
- Low contrast objects and simulated breast tissue for reconstructed images
Tomosynthesis reconstructed image shows modules with objects including tungsten BBs and wires, and barium-filled grooves.
NEW Image Quality Module Test Object Specifications
The phantom configurations for Image Quality tests includes the Image Quality and Missing Tissue Detection modules, plus several blank modules. This configuration has an overall thickness of 6.5 cm.
|Fiber Diameter (mm)||Speck Diameter, Glass Sphere (mm)||Mass Thickness (mm)|
|0.89 ± 0.05||0.33 ± 0.0100||1.00 ± 0.05|
|0.75 ± 0.03||0.28 ± 0.0083||0.75 ± 0.05|
|0.61 ± 0.03||0.23 ± 0.0069||0.50 ± 0.05|
|0.54 ± 0.03||0.20 ± 0.0059||0.38 ± 0.04|
|0.40 ± 0.03||0.17 ± 0.0084||0.25 ± 0.03|
|0.30 ± 0.03||0.14 ± 0.0070||0.20 ± 0.02|
The Modular DBT Phantom is backed by a 5-year warranty and is available in several configurations. Included are several target modules and blanks, the back plate assembly, a user guide and a custom hard-sided waterproof case.
|Module Name||Target Characteristics||Module Thickness (mm)|
|Image Quality||Specks, masses, fibers. See specifications above.||15|
|Missing Tissue Detection||Barium-filled grooves, 1 mm x 0.5 mm, sized from 0 mm to 15 mm||10|
|MTF, LSF||2 tungsten wires, 25 micron DIA||10|
|CNR||1100 aluminum alloy sheet, 0.1 mm thick, 45° angle||5 (10 total)|
|Rounded Edge||No targets||20|
|Rounded Edge||14 tungsten BBs, 0.279 mm DIA, aligned in X, Y and Z-axis||15|
|Breast Blank||No targets||5, 10, 20|
|Breast-Glandular Blank||No targets||10, 20|
|Breast-Adipose Blank||No targets||10, 20|
All modules are epoxy resin-based Hammerstein composition, with dimensions of 180 mm x 100 mm.
- 1 EUREF (European Reference Organization for Quality Assured Breast Screening and Diagnostic Services) Protocol version 1.01 for the Quality Control of the Physical and Technical Aspects of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Systems.
- 2 Hammerstein R., Miller D., White D., et al; Absorbed Dose in Mammography; RADIOLOGY;130:485-491.
A wheeled case is included with your Modular DBT™ Phantom.
Optional breast-glandular and breast-adipose homogeneous modules available